The commotion during the game between Tynecastle FC and Portobello CFA 2006s is now being investigated by police after witnesses said both parents and players were involved in the incident.
The incident took place in the dying seconds of the South East Region Cup Final, held at the Hallhill Center in Dunbar, in a thrilling 2-2 draw.
Tynecastle FC say their players were attacked after a Portobello striker collided with the Tynecastle goalkeeper.
Parents and players then got into a fight, with a witness telling the Evening News that “players were knocked to the ground, spectators, including adults and substitutes, fought like two gangs on the pitch”.
In a statement released by Tynecastle FC, the club said: “During and after Sunday everyone’s concern was the well-being of the Portobello player who was injured in an accidental collision with our goalkeeper.
“We are pleased to hear that the player has returned home and will make a full recovery.
“The game was abandoned due to the Portobello player’s serious injury, not the chaos that ensued.
“The matter is in the hands of the police and we have been given various videos showing innocent Tynecastle players being subjected to unprovoked physical attacks and racist attacks by bystanders which are being passed on to the police.
“We would also like to clarify, contrary to media reports, that no one from Tynecastle, or any of the four match officials present, or various officials present, brought to our attention an alleged kick against the injured Portobello player.
“We believe video of the game will prove that this alleged kick didn’t happen.
“The club were disappointed with the action of a minority of viewers who were not supporters of Tynecastle.
“That put a lopsided spanner in the works for what had been an excellent cup final up to that point.
“We also stand by and support the referee who has been subjected to terrible abuse.”
In a statement released this afternoon, Portobello 2006s said of the incident: “A Portobello player was brought down by the Tynecastle goalkeeper in a dangerous collision.
“Our player was hit in the head and passed out on the field.
“Everyone associated with Portobello was in shock when one of our players went unresponsive for a few minutes. An unthinkable scenario played out before your eyes.
“Portobello coaches, players, families and fans were only interested in making sure the injured player was treated, resuscitated and taken care of.
“That was our only concern at the time. We also tried to release the tension and isolate the rest of our players, some of whom were attacked on the field.
“We take full responsibility for the Portobello players and their behavior in the aftermath as it is totally unacceptable to respond to provocations.
“We understand their emotional state at seeing their teammate in such a critical condition, but we expect them to remain calm in difficult circumstances.
“Some videos have surfaced of so-called ‘Portobello supporters’ involved in scuffles on the pitch. As we understand it, these are players from other teams who took part in the final.
“We have three coaches involved in a cup final and our responsibilities lie with our players, coaches, parents or immediate family.
“We are not responsible for the behavior of malicious ‘neutrals’.
“The events on Sunday worried us as a club. We are sure Tynecastle is also unhappy with this turn of events.
“Our concern now is for the recovery of our player who suffered a serious head injury and for a safe conclusion to the rest of the season.
“We have been involved in youth football for a long time and have produced footballers and young men of character.”
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Officers were called to reports of a fight at a square in Kellie Road, Dunbar, around 6.20pm on Sunday.
“One person was taken to the hospital for examination. The investigation is ongoing to determine the full circumstances.”