Tottenham’s Oliver Skipp is out with a hairline fracture in his heel, while Yves Bissouma has a minor hamstring strain and is being examined.
Southampton wingers Nathan Tella and Theo Walcott are both out with knee and fitness problems.
Full-back Tino Livramento is the only long-term absentee.
Manager Ralph Hasenhuttl is expected to make a number of players debut, including goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu and attacking midfielder Joe Aribo.
There’s a lot of excitement at Tottenham, but then it’s the same at the start of each season.
Contrary to what is expected from Spurs, many people seem to be predicting Southampton will be relegated. But Saints seem to get written off every season and then prove people wrong.
I’ll go for the old one-two of Kane and Son to get the job done for Spurs again.
Chris Sutton’s full predictions against football commentator Alistair Bruce-Ball
head to head
- This is the fourth time Tottenham have started a league campaign against Southampton, with Spurs winning two and drawing the other.
- The Saints have scored in each of their last 15 games against the Spurs in all competitions.
- Southampton won that game 3-2 last season and are aiming for back-to-back league wins away at Tottenham for the first time since 1971.
- Spurs have won their first league game in four of the last five seasons (L1).
- Tottenham will play a home Premier League game on a Saturday at 3pm for the first time in 973 days since they beat Burnley 5-0 in December 2019, after their tie with Aston Villa in 2001.
- Harry Kane has not scored in seven of his eight opening day appearances in the Premier League, save for a brace against Aston Villa in 2019-20.
- However, Kane has 11 goals in 14 games against Southampton.
- Southampton started the Premier League with a defeat in all three seasons under Ralph Hasenhuttl.
- The Saints last won on Opening Day nine years ago, a 1-0 win at West Bromwich Albion in August 2013.
- They have won just once in their last 12 league games (U2, N9) and ended the season with four straight defeats.
- Southampton have won two of their last three league games in London (L1), having recorded just two wins (U6, L11) in their 19 previous visits to the capital.
- James Ward-Prowse scored nine of his ten Premier League goals away from home last season – only Mohamed Salah scored more away with 11 last season.
Predict Tottenham Hotspur’s starting XI for the next game – remember you can change the formation!
Predict Southampton starting XI for the next game – remember you can change the formation!
- Our coverage of your Premier League club is bigger and better than ever – here it is Everything you need to know to make sure you don’t miss a moment