‘Shameful’ treatment of Liverpool fans at football final compared to Sheffield Hillsborough disaster

David Hughes, a Liverpool fan who was at the game with his daughter, told The Guardian that poor organization and attempts to blame problems on fans reflected the Hillsborough disaster, which saw his father, Eric Hughes, im April 1989 died, one of 97 fans killed.

“The first thing they do is blame the fans,” he said.

Lou Brookes, whose brother Andrew died in Hillsborough, said Saturday’s treatment of fans “brought everything back” from the disaster 33 years ago, including what police said.

Register to our daily newsletter

Liverpool fans, stuck off the ground, show their playing cards during the UEFA Champions League Final at the Stade de France, Paris

Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson called the fans’ accusation “shameful”.

Carl Markham, covering the game for the Press Association, said: “Organizational chaos meant hundreds of fans missed kick-off as huge queues formed outside, French police locked down one of the main gates at the Liverpool end and then pepper – Sprayed and tear gassed supporters, including children and the disabled, crowded the fence with nowhere to go.

“It was a worrying picture for everyone but for a club with Liverpool’s tragic history at Hillsborough, there were understandably many people who were traumatized by the situation.

Continue reading

Continue reading

Watch this: Sheffield viral video shows Full Monty fundraisers bouncing car…

“Frustration had brewed for a few hours as the tactic of herding the majority of Red supporters through an underpass strategically blocked in part by police vehicles only added to the delay in reaching ground.

“This resulted in a handful of people either climbing over the fence or running through gates to get in, but not all were traveling fans and some appeared to be locals risking their arm.

“It prompted law enforcement to close the entrance for more than 45 minutes and a former Liverpool player in goal had his phone taped to his ear for over an hour as he spoke to his crying son, stuck in the frightening situation outside .”

According to Markham: “The fallout from what transpired outside the Stade de France is likely to continue for some time, with the club rightly calling for a formal investigation into the shameful scenes, angry that their safety concerns were ignored and UEFA to blame for this, the late arrival of the fans resulted in a 36-minute delayed kick-off”.

Leave a Comment