Game Pass is one of the biggest game subscription services, but unfortunately all plans are limited to one user account. That is now going to change as Microsoft is finally testing an Xbox Game Pass family plan. The new plan will allow users to add up to four people to their plan, as long as they reside in the same country.
According to the announcement blog post, the family plan will be available to Xbox Insiders in Colombia and Ireland.. Clearly Microsoft is testing the service before releasing it to a wider audience. Additionally, Shared Users do not need to be Xbox Insiders to be invited to the Family Plan. Also, if you’re wondering what happens to your existing service once you sign up for the family plan, “Insider Preview will convert the time remaining on your membership to time on the new plan, based on the monetary value of the previous membership“. Unfortunately, conversion is not available to invited members and they will need to cancel their existing service if they don’t want to wait for it to expire. Finally, Xbox All Access members still won’t be able to enable the feature, likely because the price of the console is also included in the plan.
It seems that Microsoft is not charging anything extra for the family plan yet, and the price is similar to the level of Xbox Ultimate Game Pass.. However, this could change when it’s widely rolled out, or Microsoft adds Family Sharing in the Ultimate Xbox Game Pass tier.
- Invited members with an existing subscription may encounter an error when accepting an invitation. We are working to allow these members to cancel immediately to accept the invitation.
- Attempts to update twice within 24 hours will be blocked. For example, upgrading from Xbox Live Gold to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will work, but attempts to upgrade from Ultimate to Xbox Game Pass: Insider Preview will be blocked for 24 hours. Currently, a generic error code is displayed when this is attempted.
- Members of the Microsoft account family will not receive an email when automatically added to a group. Primary account holders can share benefits with members of the Microsoft account family automatically. We are working on sending a confirmation email and family members do not need to explicitly accept an invitation to gain access.
- A primary account holder may see the “Something went wrong” error when trying to share directly with two or more Microsoft account family members at the same time after purchase. Wait a moment and try again. Alternatively, try sharing via email or link.
- Error when trying to buy Xbox Game Pass – Insider Preview plan. If you are unable to purchase with this error code: PEX-CatalogAvailabilityDataNotFound, please report an issue by following the steps outlined on the Insider subreddit here. You may be able to fix this by restarting the Microsoft Store and trying to purchase again.
- “Get Help” subscription sharing link on account.microsoft.com links to the support.xbox.com home page instead of a specific support article with help to share.
- Emails related to managing invites and groups are currently only in English. We are working on additional languages for these emails.
– Xbox cable