Chelsea news: Gary Neville questions ‘stunning’ Marc Cucurella transfer | Soccer

Gary Neville has opened up about Chelsea's recent transfer

Gary Neville has given his verdict on Chelsea’s latest transfer (Images: Getty/Sky Sports)

Gary Neville asked Chelsea’s decision to sign Brighton defender Marc Cucurella insisted he was “stunned” by the “stunning” transfer announcement.

Chelsea confirmed on Friday they had signed Spanish defender Cucurella for more than £60million.

Cucurella has signed a six-year contract at Stamford Bridge and will become Thomas Tuchel’s fourth big signing of the summer after England striker Raheem Sterling, Senegalese defender Kalidou Koulibaly and young talent Carney Chukwuemeka.

The 24-year-old, who made 38 appearances in his only season at Brighton, looked set to join Manchester City earlier in the summer but Chelsea hijacked the move to bolster Tuchel’s defensive options.

While Neville was impressed with Cucurella’s development on the south coast, he admits he was “stunned” by Chelsea’s deal.

“That just blew us away today,” the former Manchester United and England defender told Sky Sports.

“It’s an amazing amount of money and they already have Ben Chilwell in that position. That’s a massive transmission that went through. That’s it [summer deal] that strikes me.

“Seeing him in a Chelsea shirt… will he improve and prove he’s worth that sum?”

Cucurella quickly established himself as one of Brighton’s most consistent players, having joined from Getafe around this time last year.

But he was open to leaving Brighton this summer to play in the Champions League and fight for big trophies.

Following his move to Chelsea, Cucurella said: “I’m really happy. It’s a great opportunity for me to join one of the best clubs in the world. I will work hard to be happy here and to help the team.”

Meanwhile, new Chelsea owner Todd Boehly insists he is “delighted” to welcome Cucurella to Stamford Bridge.

“Marc is an elite defender with proven Premier League quality,” said the American businessman.

“We continue to work on and off the pitch and are delighted that Marc will be a part of the present and future at Chelsea.”

Chelsea finished third in the Premier League last season and kick off the 2022/23 season with a trip to Goodison Park on Saturday to take on Frank Lampard’s Everton.

MORE: Alan Shearer says Chelsea are ‘three or four’ signings away from Premier League title challenge

MORE: ‘Panic buying’ – Martin Keown calls Chelsea deal ‘nonsensical’ for Marc Cucurella

For more stories like this, visit our sports page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news
Facebook,
Twitter and Instagram.

Chelsea FC

Leave a Comment